Goldstone Report debate
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 6:21 PM
Subject:Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
At 430 this morning, 18th January 2010, quite by accident, I discovered Robert Marshall - Andrews on BBC Parliament debating the Goldstone Report in Westminster Hall. This is certainly the best speech on the Israeli - Gaza situation I have ever heard.
Unfortunately Bob Marshall - Andrews, who has been a consistent opponent of Blairite militarism, at least from the time of the 1999 NATO- Serbian War, is retiring from the House of Commons, but we hope not from Parliament, and I think The Queen shd ennoble him, but whether he wd accept such an honour is another thing.
Of course the Father of the House, Tam Dalyell, got drummed out of Parliament by Blair, but I think he was already a Scottish baronet.
The flat earthist in the Goldstone Debate was Douglas Carswell MP.
I phoned him and told him how much I respect flat earthists, and how much we need them in Parliament, and he, as an Athanasius Contra Mundum, in appearing to be the only UK MP, of (how can I put discreetly) distinctly Anglo Saxon appearance, to reject the overwhelming world consensus, that Gaza was a disaster.
A disaster most of all for Israel.
Whatever their military gain Gaza has opened the eyes of the entire world to the brutality of the Israeli Occupation.
This was Lidice all over again.
A massive reprisal on a civilian population for acts of resistance to an occupying power.
I told Carswell over the phone how much he needs to repent - otherwise he becomes an apologist for, and complicit in, the Isreali war crimes.!
I have already repented! Formerly a Christian Zionist I was brought up to believe the Balfour Declaration of 1917 was the best thing since sliced bread, but now abhor myself in dust and ashes.
But I continue to defend the right of Israel to exist as a sovereign state and as a member of the United Nations.
Most states have been built on appalling violence and ethnic cleansing and we cannot undo 1947/48, when the peoples of Europe, absorbed in their own problems, and affected by The Scourge of the Swastika, revelations about the Nazi death camps, turned a blind eye to Harry Truman's land grab in the Middle East.
Israelis though have now to make their own way in life in the real world, without reliance on the US or Europe and UK particularly has no national interest in whether or not the Israeli state survives.
I think their whole enterprise is probably doomed. But if it is, it is because of Israeli lack of prudence, or capacity in statecraft.
Surrounded by hostile neighbours they shd have tried to build bridges, not exacerbate the situation.
Disinvestment is needed from the failed Israeli experiment. And today's events in Kabul show just how deluded the entire US neo con programme is.
William Spring CANA UK Director.
This comment is posted on http://canauk-politics-religion.blogspot.com
----- Original Message -----
From: MARSHALL-ANDREWS, Robert
To: 'canauk@blueyonder.co.uk'
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:43 AM
Subject: FW: Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
______________________________________________
From: HUBBARD, Stephen
Sent: 13 January 2010 10:38
To: MARSHALL-ANDREWS, Robert
Subject: Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
________________________________
UK Parliament Disclaimer:
This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.149/2630 - Release Date: 01/18/10 07:35:00
Subject:Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
At 430 this morning, 18th January 2010, quite by accident, I discovered Robert Marshall - Andrews on BBC Parliament debating the Goldstone Report in Westminster Hall. This is certainly the best speech on the Israeli - Gaza situation I have ever heard.
Unfortunately Bob Marshall - Andrews, who has been a consistent opponent of Blairite militarism, at least from the time of the 1999 NATO- Serbian War, is retiring from the House of Commons, but we hope not from Parliament, and I think The Queen shd ennoble him, but whether he wd accept such an honour is another thing.
Of course the Father of the House, Tam Dalyell, got drummed out of Parliament by Blair, but I think he was already a Scottish baronet.
The flat earthist in the Goldstone Debate was Douglas Carswell MP.
I phoned him and told him how much I respect flat earthists, and how much we need them in Parliament, and he, as an Athanasius Contra Mundum, in appearing to be the only UK MP, of (how can I put discreetly) distinctly Anglo Saxon appearance, to reject the overwhelming world consensus, that Gaza was a disaster.
A disaster most of all for Israel.
Whatever their military gain Gaza has opened the eyes of the entire world to the brutality of the Israeli Occupation.
This was Lidice all over again.
A massive reprisal on a civilian population for acts of resistance to an occupying power.
I told Carswell over the phone how much he needs to repent - otherwise he becomes an apologist for, and complicit in, the Isreali war crimes.!
I have already repented! Formerly a Christian Zionist I was brought up to believe the Balfour Declaration of 1917 was the best thing since sliced bread, but now abhor myself in dust and ashes.
But I continue to defend the right of Israel to exist as a sovereign state and as a member of the United Nations.
Most states have been built on appalling violence and ethnic cleansing and we cannot undo 1947/48, when the peoples of Europe, absorbed in their own problems, and affected by The Scourge of the Swastika, revelations about the Nazi death camps, turned a blind eye to Harry Truman's land grab in the Middle East.
Israelis though have now to make their own way in life in the real world, without reliance on the US or Europe and UK particularly has no national interest in whether or not the Israeli state survives.
I think their whole enterprise is probably doomed. But if it is, it is because of Israeli lack of prudence, or capacity in statecraft.
Surrounded by hostile neighbours they shd have tried to build bridges, not exacerbate the situation.
Disinvestment is needed from the failed Israeli experiment. And today's events in Kabul show just how deluded the entire US neo con programme is.
William Spring CANA UK Director.
This comment is posted on http://canauk-politics-religion.blogspot.com
----- Original Message -----
From: MARSHALL-ANDREWS, Robert
To: 'canauk@blueyonder.co.uk'
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:43 AM
Subject: FW: Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
______________________________________________
From: HUBBARD, Stephen
Sent: 13 January 2010 10:38
To: MARSHALL-ANDREWS, Robert
Subject: Westminster Hall speech - Goldstone Report debate - Tues 12 Jan 2010
________________________________
UK Parliament Disclaimer:
This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.149/2630 - Release Date: 01/18/10 07:35:00

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home